We Brits love to moan about the weather. It’s too cold, too rainy, too cloudy, too sunny, too humid. This weekend saw the warmest weather of the year so far, reaching a sultry 28 degrees centigrade where we live. Along with it came some high humidity, and lots of comments along the lines of ‘it’s far too hot isn’t it?’, ‘if only it would cool down a few degrees’ and so on.
Keeping little ones amused is tricky at the best of times, let alone when they’re feeling hot and clammy.
I had a few ideas on how to keep J cool:
- Keeping windows open in the house to allow a cool breeze to circulate
- Making sure he had regular drinks of cool water (not too cold as apparently water that is too cold makes your body work to warm it up, thus making you feel warmer)
- Wiping him occasionally with a cool damp cloth
- Letting him roam about in as little clothing as decently possible
And my favourite:
- Having a good old splish splash in the garden
We don’t own a paddling pool, so I rather ingeniously I came up with an alternative – our old baby bath that J is too big to have a bath in, but was the perfect size for J to sit and play with some toys whilst having a bit of a splash. He thoroughly enjoyed himself!